St. John’s School was founded in 1836 by wealthy parishioners to serve the needs of the poor in the parish. The original school was in Vanston Place where Barclays Bank is now sited. In 1894, the school moved to a site in Dawes Road, where it stayed for almost 90 years.
The New School Buildings in Filmer Road
In March 1997, the school moved to its new site on Filmer Road. The buildings were built by the Arts and Crafts architect W.H. Baillie Scott, and are listed because of their historical interest.
The Present School
From its origins as a mixed age class of children in a single storey building on the site of Barclay’s Bank in Fulham Broadway in 1838, St. John’s School now provides education for children from the age of 3 to 11 years. In 1997, the LEA gave the school permission to extend provision to include nursery education. The nursery and reception classes work closely together to form the Early Years Foundation Stage. In 2009 the school started to become two-form entry from reception; this expansion programme was completed in 2015.