"Confidence in numeracy and other mathematical skills is a precondition of success across the National Curriculum."National Curriculum Framework, DfE, September 2013
Numeracy and Mathematics
At St. John's our aim is to support our children to become well-rounded mathematicians, with a sound understanding of calculation, numerical fluency, and the ability to use and apply their understanding through problem solving and reasoning. We encourage an understanding of the importance of mathematics across the curriculum and in the children's everyday lives. Numeracy and mathematics are taught every day from Nursery up to Year 6, through child-initiated activities and play, adult-led group sessions, group activities and whole class teaching.
In Numeracy, we aim for children:
- To be fluent in the fundamentals of Numeracy through frequent practice.
- To have the conceptual understanding to support their numerical fluency.
- To recall and apply number facts, rapidly and accurately.
Whilst Problem-Solving, we aim for children:
- To use and apply their numerical skills.
- To attempt problems with increasing complexity and sophistication.
- To develop perseverance.
Whilst Reasoning, we aim for children:
- To follow a line of enquiry.
- To identify relationships and make generalisations.
- To develop an argument, justifications and proof.
- To use mathematical language.
National Curriculum Programmes of Study
Mathematics Curriculum Maps
- Reception Mathematics Curriculum Map
- Year 1 Mathematics Curriculum Map
- Year 2 Mathematics Curriculum Map
- Year 3 Mathematics Curriculum Map
- Year 4 Mathematics Curriculum Map
- Year 5 Mathematics Curriculum Map
- Year 6 Mathematics Curriculum Map
Math’s – No Problem!
Click on the Maths's - No Problem logo to find parent videos on the basics of mathematics by Dr Yeap Ban Har.
Ms Rees gave a Math's presentation for parents of children in Years 3, 4 and 5 on May 3rd 2016. This detailed what Math's looks like at St John's - as there have been quite a few changes. If you missed the presentation a copy can be seen below.